Living in today’s modern age of information technologies, we become more and more aware about the importance of the information security.
The aspect of information security is very important for the business community as well as for the individuals. Due to this lately more attention is focused to this subject worldwide, as well as in Macedonia.
I will try to explain what does information security means and why it is so important through few basic definitions and short presentations.
What is information?
"Information is a means of organization, which like all other business assets, has value to the organization and therefore need to be adequately protected"
What is information security?
Provision of confidentiality, integrity and availability of written, electronic and spoken information.
- Confidentiality - Ensuring that information is available only to those authorized to have access
- Integrity - Ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the information and methods for their processing
- Availability - Ensuring that authorized users have access to information and related resources when needed
There are several international standards and best practices that have incorporated the aspect of information security in them. I would point out the following:
- ISO 27001 Management Security Information
- ISO 20000 IT service management
- ITIL - Information Technology Infrastructure Library
The notion information and basic types of information
Most common threats of information security
System for information security
Standards and recommendations for information security on internet